Dressmaking for Kids is a series of classes focused on learning techniques for garment construction. This is a great series for the child who loves fashion and wants to learn more about how to sew clothes!
Students will LEARN a variety of techniques, PRACTICE the techniques on a sample garment they create, and then work to MAKE a garment using their favorite techniques learned. Each series will be focused on making a specific garment: top/blouse, skirt, pants, dresses.
*In November, we will Sew a Dress from start to finish using standard techniques.
PREREQUISITE: Students must have taken Intro to Sewing for Kids or have basic sewing experience to be able to sew independently on a sewing machine.
FALL 2015 - Class Dates/Time:
- SATURDAYS, 9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Tops Series: September 12, 19, 26
- Skirts Series: October 10, 17, 24
- Sew a Dress, November 7, 14, 21
Class Duration: 3-class series, each class is 1.5 hours
Age Group: For girls and boys* ages 8 and older
*Project can be adjusted for boys but will still have a garment focus
Skill Level: beginner and beyond
- $90, materials included*
Fabric Requirements: Practice fabric will be provided but students will need to bring their own fabric to make a their garment.
*Typical fabric requirements for different kid-sized garments:
- top, 1.25 yards of cotton fabric plus one package of single-fold bias tape in a coordinating color
- skirt, 1 yard of cotton fabric plus 1 yard of 1" wide elastic
- dress, 2 yards of cotton fabric plus a 9" zipper and one package of single-fold bias tape in a coordinating color
- shorts, 1.25 - 1.5 yards of cotton fabric plus 1 yard of 1" wide elastic (if the pattern design of the fabric has an obvious direction, buy 1/5 yards)
Class Location: Sew You Studio, 3795 Grove St, Denver 80211